Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

L won 2500.00 from ny lottery second chance drawing and I…

Hello, l won 2500.00 from...
Hello, l won 2500.00 from ny lottery second chance drawing and I need to pay taxes on it. Do I pay state and federal taxes or just state? What do I need to do or what from to fill out. I don't work but I do own a house.
3/15/2018
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Lottery winnings are taxable to both state and federal. If they withheld tax you will want to file to request any refund if too much tax was withheld.

You list the amount as OTHER INCOME

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

I don't file taxes I don't have any income all I need to do is pay the taxes on my lottery winnings. What do I need to do.
Hello
What form do I need to fill out, do I use the form 1040as or??
1040ez I don't work I have not filed taxes in 18 yrs.I really don't wanna file with H&R block or somebody it's more money just for a meezly lottery win
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

If that amount 2500 which you won is your ONLY income - you are NOT required to file and will NOT have any tax liability.

If you are single - your filing requirements for 2017 starts from gross income $10,400.

As your income is below that threshold - you are not required to file.

Please verify if you have any reporting for for that winning?

It's that way for state and federal?

Yes - for federal and for state.

But if there were any withholding - you would not be able to claim that back.

That is why I am asking if you had any reporting form?

Lottery people sent me a w2g form. I live with my boyfriend and he has disability income and an annuity income and he dosent file either

Please verify on that form - if you have any amounts in box 4 and in box 15 ?

No amounts in those boxes on the w2g form

Then - you are OK - no withholding - and nothing to worry to be refunded.

You do not need to file if that is your only income.

Just keep that form W2G for reference with your other tax related documents.

You are NOT required to file neither federal no NY state income tax returns because your gross income is below filing requirements.

Ok thank you Lev just people were saying oh it's over 700.00 I needed to file

You would need to file IF the amount above $400 - BUT only if that is your self-employment income.

That is because of additional self-employment taxes.

But otherwise - filing requirements starts from $10,400.

Ok just didn't want to be thrower in jail because I didn't pay tax on the lottery winnings. Thank you Lev

No jail even for those who doesn't pay taxes.

Only criminal activities may result such punishment...

But you are perfectly fine.

You are not required to file and there is no reason for you to file.

Ok thank you Lev you have help me more then the first one. Again thank you

I am sorry for delay - please understand we have a very busy time for all tax folks.

Please accept our apology.

That's ok my question prolly is small compared to others. Again thank you

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues

Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer
Ok thank you level you been a big help with the in depth answers. My first person on here acted liked she was bothered so I am very please with you and your response. I will rate you appropriately. :-)
Lev it's the keyboard that misspelled your name not me. :-)
Thank you Lev I will stop bothering you now and rate our session. You have been a great help and I feel better. :-)

Appreciate your warm word.

Please consider that we are also working with office clients as well and might not be available online all the time.

Feel free to come back - I might not be immediately available - but surely will reply.