Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Did or receive any distributions from a retirement plan

quot;Did William or Jennifer receive...
quot;Did William or Jennifer receive any distributions from a retirement plan after 2014? We're only talking about distributions that occurred before the due date (including extensions) of your 2017 return." Confused about when this would be. It is before the filing date for 2017 return (04/15/2018) right? so any distribution would before then correct? or is it talking about taxes due in 2017 (04/15/2017)? William took a distribution on 4/28/2017. Would this be a yes for William or a no?
3/15/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

"William took a distribution on 4/28/2017. Would this be a yes for William or a no?"

...

This is a yes, here. You'd read those directions literally here. (before April 17 of 2018, the dur date for 2017 taxes)

interesting it would ask a question that is before the due date, before the due date...LOLok follow up then, William took the distribution from a 401k for daughters college tuition. This is subject to the 10 percent penalty due to being a 401k correct?If the distribution was from another form of IRA it would be penalty free correct?

So sorry but that's right. Rolling it to an IRS first (IF the plan allows for in-service withdrawals) would have been the way to do (hindsight being 20/20)

...

And yes, UNLESS he's over 55 and separated from service from the company ( special waiver of the 59 and 1/2 rule for workplace plans) there will be the 10% tax penalty

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS