Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have a concern regarding not filing income tax in 2014 in…

Customer Question
I have a concern...

I have a concern regarding not filing income tax in 2014 in the state of CT. I moved to NC in 2013, filed for both states in 2013, only filed for NC in 2014, and then returned to CT in 2015 and filed for both states then. Since I did not have income from CT in 2014, I did not file but now i recieved a potential audit candidate notice in the mail today. wondering what my actions should be.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

That is all

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Finance
3/15/2018
Financial Professional: bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast replied 3 months ago
bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Because of your various moves, CT is trying to find out if you were required to file a CT state return for 2014.

When you moved back and forth, did you change your driver's license, etc. to show you actually changed your residency?

When you filed returns for both states in 2013 and 2015, which was your resident state?

Thank you.

I didn't change my drivers license because I was unsure if I was moving back or not. I changed my mailing address and my car is owned under my fathers name so registration was never changed.

Then CT considers you to be a resident. You should file a CT state return for 2014.

When you filed your NC state return in 2014, did you file as a resident?

I did

CT can make the argument that you were a resident and require you to file a resident return for 2014.

basically I just need to file a income tax return for that year and it should be up to date then.

That's right.