Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

An individual has formed sole member LLC. Am I correct in…

an individual has formed sole...
an individual has formed sole member LLC. Am I correct in concluding that an election can be made to file as a S Corporation or file a Schedule C? If I am correct, are there any advantages to elect to be treated as a S Corporation for federal tax purposes?
3/14/2018
bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You are correct. You can elect to have the LLC treated as a disregarded entity and use Schedule C to report your income and expenses

OR

You can elect S corporation status. The S corporation will file its own tax return (Form 1120S), but will pay no tax. Any profit/loss is passed through to the shareholder via K-1 to be included on his personal tax return.

Under the tax reform bill passed in December, 2017, both will qualify for the 20% pass through deduction on net income.

The following link contains information regarding LLC vs. S corporation:

https://www.bizfilings.com/toolkit/research-topics/incorporating-your-business/s-corp-vs-llc

Once you have reviewed the information, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.