Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Client entered a contest, paid $ 100 entry fee. also drove…

Client entered a contest, paid...
Client entered a contest, paid $ 100 entry fee. also drove 400 miles round trip to participate in the contest.
Company sent her a 1099 other income for $ 1,250. She did not receive any money. Does she have to claim this
award money? Can she expense the entry fee and mileage against it?
Thank you, Fred
3/14/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help.

I'd report the 1099-MISC as other income to avoid a matching notice, then enter a negative $1,250 to offset that and label it something like award never received - cash basis taxpayer.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor