Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have a small family owned business, a S Corporation.

Recently, our son joined the...
I have a small family owned business, a S Corporation. Recently, our son joined the business. He owns 10% of the company's shares.
The bad news is that once he came on board, we had the worst year financially than in the past 15 years.
So we were hoping to pay him W-2 wages throughout the year, but there was not enough money to make it happen.
So now, we've paid him $650 a week for 52 weeks ($33,8000), but our net profit is $41,000.
My understanding is that his K-1 will reflect 10% of the net profit, $4100.00, but this messes him up in so many ways ... he has no income to show.
Am I missing something? Can you have shareholders wages without withholding?
3/13/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA.

You need to determine how you will treat the $33,800. It sounds like you should be issuing him a W-2. It's ok to not have withholding on it if you get a W-4 saying he is exempt. However, I'm guessing you didn't pay payroll taxes either. If that's the case, your best bet is to make it a distribution from the company.

So, his K-1 will have $4,100 on Line 1 as ordinary business income. Under Line 16D, he'll have $33,800.

If he has no other income, the standard deduction will get rid of the $4,100 so that will not be taxed. He will also have a distribution in excess of basis, which is a capital gain. The amount (assuming its his first year and he put no money into the business) would be $29,700 ($33,800 - $4,100). That's taxed at the capital gains tax rate, where he should fall into the 0% bracket and not owe tax.

Going forward, make sure you're doing payroll, so he can have withholding to meet his tax obligations. If he is doing work for the company, he is required to get a W-2 wage under IRC 162(a).

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

then, do I list the $33,800 under the Compensation of Officers? Form 1125-E?

No, it'll just be a distribution.

where do I report that on the 1120S?

It'll go on the M-2.

Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor