Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

What is the worth of an e-6 retirement pension when going…

Customer Question
What is the worth...

What is the worth of an e-6 retirement pension when going through a divorce?

Accountant's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Accountant's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No I haven't. I am going through an uncontested divorce and just need to know the value.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, what is the marital worth of the spouse's portion is she will be receiving $675.00 a month?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Finance
3/12/2018
Financial Professional: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

SOrry...what do you mean "worth"? Are you asking how the court will divide the military pension?

Have not heard from you...and it has been some time. I need to step away...if you can respond to the question,

what do you mean "worth"? Are you asking how the court will divide the military pension?

I am happy to provide a response when I return.

Thanks!

what i really need to know is what will be my spouse's marital portion of if she will be getting $675.00 a month.
Based upon an uncontested divorce we have agreed on a fixed amount of $675.00 a month. Can you help determine the marital portion of my retirement fund. Is an exact amount necessary?

Can you tell me what is driving this? What are you trying to accomplish?

That is, you and your ex agreed to 675/mo...and that is from your retirement, is that correct?

that is correct. I am doing an uncontested online divorce and the last thing that i need to complete it is an appraisal value of my retirement fund as an E-6 retired on Feb 28 2016 and what her marital portion would be if settling on $675.00 a month.

And you can "estimate" this, correct?

I believe it can be estimated.

I think you actually need an accountant for this...NOT a lawyer. I am going to forward this on to the tax folks...they can help with the accounting part.

Thank you for your assistance. So do i just keep on with this site for the help from accounting?

Yes...I sent the request in...someone from tax/accounting should be able to assist you with the calculation. It is an accounting issue that takes into account your projected life expectancy, and the value of the pension (since the pension dies when you do)

Financial Professional: Josie-Mod,
 replied 3 months ago
Josie-Mod
I am Josie, a moderator for this topic.
Your question is open to all Tax Experts, there is no need to re-post or re-list your question.
I was directed to accounting but haven't heard from anyone in over half a day. Hi there, I am a 43 yr old man who is going through an uncontested divorce. I recently retired from the Army on 28 Feb 2016. I am trying to find out what my retirement is worth whether through a life expectancy value or whatever the online divorce will accept. I also need to know the marital portion that will be going to my wife. We both agreed that she will receive $675.00 a month. Thanks in advance.
Oh ya, I retired as an E-6.