Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I received my 1st time 1099 misc from a streaming company…

I received my 1st...

I received my 1st time 1099 misc from a streaming company based in CA but i stream from my home state Maine and i wanted to know how to file state taxes, with my home state? also i received a 1099 from a game company based in CA but earned the money in a game tournament in Atlanta, Ga.,also with what state to file? thanks

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Dont think so..

3/12/2018
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

A Maine income tax return must be fi led by April 17, 2018 if you are a resident of Maine who is required to file a federal income tax return or if you are not required to file a federal return, Maine will tax you on all income regardless of the place where it originates.

If all the 1099MISCs were from online activity you file in your resident state only and include the income. You do not file in CA or GA unless you were actually physically in one of the states and received the income.

i was physically in Ga when i played

Did GA withhold tax?

in the tournament

Was any GA tax withheld

no Ga did not withhold

If it was less then $5000 you are not required to file a GA nonresident (the winnings I mean)

i dont have to file with maine for those winnings?

NO Maine will tax you on all your winnings and income but no GA tax return would be required.

ok got it i guess, thank you

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor