Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I live in Carmel, Indiana and I recently opened a shop on…

I live in Carmel...

I live in Carmel, Indiana and I recently opened a shop on Etsy selling reclaimed wooden signs. I am the owner, creator, and only employee & I make and sell of my goods out of my home. I need to know if I should be charging a sales tax to every state that I sell to, do I need any licenses or permits? When do I need to pay taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Not currently that I can think of.

3/9/2018
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Financial Advisor

Hi. Great Question. Yes - you should have a sales tax permit.

Etsy allows you to choose the states in which you have nexus and set up a sales tax rate for each state, zip code or even a range of zip codes.

Hi. As long as the inventory is in Indiana, you should collect Indiana sales tax of 7 percent.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions. Thank you.

What does that mean "nexus"? All the inventory is in my home in Indiana, nothing is supplied or sitting anywhere else. I should still acquire a sales tax permit? My shop is set up to collect Indiana sales tax, do I need it to collect for any other states or just the state the business and inventory is located?

Nexus means where the inventory or property is - even if someone is buying and lives in another state, you should collect the 7 percent sales tax. Yes on the tax permit.

Thank you!

You are very welcome.

ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Financial Advisor