Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have a question about my taxes. I answered some questions…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a question...
Hi. I have a question about my taxes. I answered some questions for a company I was working for on their website (Robert Half) and I don't know what all this Tax stuff means. I am listed as exempt from 2 questions that they asked me on my W-4. It's the last line on the form number 7 that says I am exempt. What does this mean exactly and is it correct?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Finance
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Financial Professional: TaxRobin, Senior Advisor replied 4 months ago
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If you claim exemption from withholding, your employer will not withhold federal income tax from your wages. The exemption applies only to income tax, not to Social Security or Medicare tax.

You can claim exemption from withholding for the current year only if both the following situations apply.

• For the prior year, you had a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld because you had no tax liability.
  • For the current year, you expect a refund of all federal income tax withheld because you expect to have no tax liability.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

How do I know the answers to those two things? Hah sorry I'm not sure. I just hit yes for both of them bc yes sounded right.

Did you file a return last year for 2016?

No I was going to do them this year. Still need to find a Tax person.

You need to change those answers. You are not exempt by the IRS definition.

If you leave that you will owe for 2018 and then the IRS can set your W4 to Single and 0 for 3 years. Plus you will have a penalty for not having the withholding correct.

Oh no ok. That will take out a lot of money though, like $75 a week! I only get paid 37k a year, is there anyway to make that amount lower? Or is it bc I claimed exempt last year that they are deducting so much this year? WIll I just owe now for last year? Sorry I don't know anything about taxes.

You claim what you are supposed to claim. If you are married list married and if you have a dependent claim the allowance but do not list exempt.

If you claimed exempt for 2017 then yes you will owe. Do your returns so you can see for sure.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting. Thank you