Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have an LLC member that has left the business. Another…

Customer Question
I have an LLC...

I have an LLC member that has left the business. Another member took the leaving member's percentage by paying the leaving member directly. Is there an entry I need to do? I'm using TurboTax and it has adjusted my opening member equity to reflect the change (which was in 2016).

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

All member's have a negative equity since the business has consistently been a loss since 2012.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Finance
3/7/2018
Financial Professional: Lev, Tax Preparer replied 6 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

You will need to issue a FINAL K1 to the partner who left.

Then - you simply combine capital accounts for the partner who took over.

That partner will need to track his/her basis in the partnership interest.

The final K-1 was given to them in 2016. The membership interest was combined on the balance sheet so I didn't do a journal entry. TurboTax adjusted the membership interest by that partner's previous losses and is saying my balance sheet is out of balance. Do I just ignore what it's doing? It's saying my 2016 balance sheet on the return is out of balance.

You need to combine these two shares.

Seems as you just change the percentage - but did not combine sub-accounts.

You need to transfer the partner's interest to a new partner.

Do not ignore.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

My question was not answered. Thanks for the effort though. I’ll try calling TurboTax.

No problem.

You may simply ignore the answer if it has no value for you.

Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed.

You are welcome back for all your tax related issues.