Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have a client that is rolling over (2) IRAs to a SIMPLE…

I have a client that...
I have a client that is rolling over (2) IRAs to a SIMPLE IRA to combine assets. Neither IRA has been rolled during the past year. In there any consequences by doing (2)?Document that states that only one rollover per year is allowed. Ref. IRS code section 408(d)(3)(B). It also references IRS Publication 590.However, they are referring to rolling over the same personal Trad IRA multiple times?Thanks
3/7/2018
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

A trustee to trustee transfer is not a rollover. If they used or will use that approach there is no problem under the 1 rollover a year rule.

the Law only applies when the check is going through to the client?Ethan

Correct

I think it was a way to stop that "borrowing " from the IRAs that people were doing and claiming rollover treatment.

TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor