Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

My wife and I sold property in the US in January 2018 (I am…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I sold property in the US in January 2018 (I am an american citizen my wife is Canadian). The sale price was more than $300k. The closing agent withheld 10% of the sale and filed a form 8288. Can I get a refund of the withheld amount now instead of waiting to file my return? Thank you

Accountant's Assistant: You can email***@******.***. JustAnswer is backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So if our Customer Care team can't address your issue, and it's been 30 days or less since you paid to ask your question, they will refund your money. The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

How do I get my question answered?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Finance
3/7/2018
Financial Professional: bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast replied 6 months ago
bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

A Withholding certificate should have been filed on the day of the transaction or a day before the final transaction is made.

See the following for additional information:

http://freedomtaxaccounting.com/how-to-get-firpta-withholding-back/

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p515.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8288b.pdf

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb