Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I’m in the process of evaluating a new 401K manager for our…

I’m in the process of...
I’m in the process of evaluating a new 401K manager for our office. If I had to choose the investment stocks/bonds that are similar to this from the website
http://kindex.paychex.com
Would I have comparable options that would help me invest aggressively?
1/23/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello my name is***** will assist you today.

What exactly are your options? I see the attachments composed of mostly Vanguard funds and paychex has the option of target date funds and model portfolios.

If I had to choose, I would choose a target date fund based on my anticipated retirement date:

AllianzGI Retirement 2055 Fund (R) - Good diversification and asset allocation

https://www.sponsorportal.com/content/content.cfm?product=FUNDS&custno=E8E62C02-15B9-11D9-AB2A-00A0C974E97D&FUNDID=01880B686&cusip=01880B686

Alliance Bernstien and Allianz has a long track record of picking successful investments and asset allocation funds.

I am not thrilled with the attached options or the model portfolio.

Please let me know your thoughts and questions.

Thank you,

Chad

Hi chad - is the allianzGI fund you alluded to above within the paychex portfolio options ? I plan on retiring in about 28 years? Would there be anything else you would consider if I was forced to choose options?

Yes, the AllianzGI fund is one of the funds offered by paychex. I obtained the link to the fact sheet directly from the paychex site.

You should confirm with paychex that the fund will still be available.

28 years would place your retirement year at 2046. Right around the corner.

Paychex also offers the Allianz 2050 and 2045. The target date funds of either 2045,2050 or 2055 start out being invested in more stocks then bonds. As you progress towards retirement the funds will be invested more conservatively.

The general idea is that you are invested more aggressively while you are younger and slowly move towards a conservative portfolio as you become closer to retirement.

I do like Vanguard funds, but the selection you are offered aren't robust enough as compared to the Allianz funds. Also the Allianz funds re balance throughout the years.

The asset allocation funds do charge more to manage your money annually and the returns posted are net of the fees. Given the features, I do believe the cost is worth the allocation and investment selection Allianz offers.

Would there be anything else I would consider? - If I had to make a choice I would choose the Allianz 2050. Whats important to me is the asset allocation and re balancing the funds offer.

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Thanks Chad.
Why should I ask if the fund will still be available? So would I expect the funds to be rebalanced for diversity and asset allocation targets over time? I tend towards 95/5 in most of my investments will see when we hit major market correction or recession how my risk aversion will be challenged

You would ask if the fund is available in your platform because sometimes the funds that are advertised may not be in the plan you choose.

Yes, the funds are created to re balance each year and allocate more funds to bonds the closer the fund is to its "target date," which should align with your retirement date.