Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

A nonresident alien who does not live in the USA and

invested in stocks in the...
a nonresident alien who does not live in the USA and invested in stocks in the USA and had a gain in 2017 need to file tax return to report the gain?
1/22/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor
Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out with this.
Since the gain is considered US source gain, you will need to report you gain and pay tax on it.
The IRS provides a list of incomes non-resident aliens need to pay tax on here:
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-aliens-source-of-income
Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!
even if the person was not in the USA when he/she made the investment?
It's considered to be US source income, which the US will tax.
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor