Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

My dad passed away last June. Do I have to file income tax…

My dad passed away...

My dad passed away last June. Do I have to file income tax for him before June and for his estate after his death?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Must I file two sets of income taxes for my deceased father, one for before he passed and one for his estate?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so. Ask me something more specific. I have no idea what might be pertinent. He had income from his pension and my deceased mom's pension also.

1/22/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

Please accept my deepest condolences for your family's loss.

You have correct understanding - all income the deceased received before the death is reported on the FINAL individual tax return - form 1040.

but all income received in respect of the deceased (IRD - income in respect of the deceased) AFTER the death is reported to the estate - form 1041 and may be passed to beneficiaries.

The due dates are same for both tax returns - for 2017 - that is Apr 17, 2018.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting,

Thank you! I have the 1041 form. My only other question is, how complicated is the filing? Would you recommend I turn it over to a professional or should I be able to do it myself?

In general - especially if there are only a few income items - you may prepare both tax returns on your own.

But in any case - it is recommended to have your calculations to be verified by a professional.

If however - you do not feel comfortable - it might be better to turn all paperwork to the tax preparer.

We still have some time before the deadline - so no rush.

Following publication - you might find it helpful - covers most aspects of filing

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p559.pdf

There are separate chapters for Final Income Tax Return for Decedent—Form 1040

and for Income Tax Return of an Estate — Form 1041

You are welcome back with all your questions.

Thanks so much for your help! I will let you know if I have any more questions.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer
Are you still there Lev?

Yes - I am here.

Phew!! I'm working on Form 56 and am almost finished. The form is asking for the docket number of proceeding. The only number I can find on any of the documents is an estate number. What do I do???
The only Doc ID I find is concerning an affidavit as to matters of title. I assumed the proceeding they are asking about is my receiving my letters testamentary.

In most situation - form 56 is not required.
Based on your information I do not think you need to file this form.

Just start with the FINAL tax return for the decedent - form 1040.
After it is completed - we may move to 1041.

Well, one less form is good! Thank you!!!
Good morning Lev.
I have, indeed, moved on to Form 1041 and have more questions that I hope you can answer.
Fist of all, as far as I can tell, the only income Dad's estate had is interest on his life insurance policy. None of the other lines seem to apply. Then we come to line 8 that says "other income". What on earth could that be????
Would that include the life insurance payout?

Yes - interest on the policy is taxable income.

Interest credited before the death is reported on the final tax return - not on 1041.

So most likely - you will have very little or no interest on 1041.

The life insurance proceeds paid because of the death are NOT taxable and not reported on 1041.

Okay. What about the fee for the probate attorney? Is that deductible on line 14? The instructions skipped that one.

Yes - legal expenses paid by the estate are deducted here - including probate expenses.

These are normally deducted on line 12.

Looks like the taxable income is zero. Is that unusual? The next line is Total Tax (from Schedule G, line 7). I looked that up and it's about expenses incurred for food and beverages. There must be another schedule G.

Not unusual for small estates.

Schedule G is used to calculate tax liability - but if taxable income is zero - there is nothing to calculate.

Schedule G is on the second page

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1041.pdf

There is nothing specifically regarding food and beverages - I think you are looking into a different place...

That's the second time today I've been a little dim. That's as far as I've gotten on form 1041. I'll let you know if I have any more questions. Thanks Lev!
Good morning Lev!! I think I just have one last question for you. The estate had no income except interest on an insurance policy. Deductions for the probate attorney and property taxes. There is a $600 exemption allowed. Everything else is zero. It looks like I have no need for the page with Schedules A, B, and G. Can it really be that simple?

Yes - that is possible for simple situations like yours

If taxable income is zero - no need to calculate tax liability - and leave schedule G blank.

If there is no charitable contributions - leave schedule A blank

If there is no distributions to beneficiaries - leave schedule B blank

Lots of zeros! I was making it more complicated that it really was. No tax due and no refund expected. Should I include a copy of Dad's death certificate and/ or my letters testamentary with the returns?

That is not required.

Form 56 is used to notify the IRS of the creation or termination of a fiduciary relationship under section 6903 and provide the qualification for the fiduciary relationship under section 6036

You may attach that form to final 1041

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f56.pdf

Then I think our work here is done!! Thank you so much for your help. I rated you after our first session. Should I rate you again? Cause you have earned many gold stars!

You may - but that will not change anything as the question was already rated.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer