Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have moved several times during the past two years and not…

I have moved several times...
I have moved several times during the past two years and not sure that IRS have had my most recent address. If I am audited -- would IRS send me a written notifaction to the address they have on my audited return (for 2015) or on the most written return (2016). What would happen if the IRS audit letter does not reach me? If IRS cannot contact me because of the wrong address -- would they try to contact my tax preparer. FYI -- I am aware of the IRS form for the change of address.
1/20/2018
bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The IRS will use the address on your most recent filed tax return.

The IRS will not try to contact your tax preparer.

If you want to make sure the IRS has your correct address, you can mail in the change of address form.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my answer with a 5-star rating to let me know that I have achieved my goal.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

please also respond to the part of my question "What would happen if the IRS audit letter does not reach me?"

Then the IRS will send a second letter within 2-4 weeks after the first letter.

If you fail to respond (whether because you failed to receive it or choose to ignore it), the IRS has the authority, depending on the size of the discrepancy and the amount owed, to collect on their debt. The IRS is able to freeze bank account and investments. The IRS may begin garnishments for wages, file liens against the individual or seek criminal charges.

It is your responsibility to make sure the IRS has your correct address so they can communicate with you.

I am just wondering what is the TYPICAL course of action if the IRS letter does not reach the recipient. I suspect that there is a substantial number of people whose forwarding address has expired by he time of audit.

As I mentioned, it is the taxpayer's responsibility to make sure the IRS has the correct address.

The normal/typical course of action is what I described above.

bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!