Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have a tax question about New York City taxes. Can you…

Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a tax question about New York City taxes. Can you help me?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My permanent residence is on Long Island (not New York City), but I have a permanent place of abode in New York City since last July. Since I will likely have it for 11 months this year, I wanted to pay city taxes, but my HR department is telling me I need to change my address to the NYC one. But that is not my legal residence, so I’m not sure if it will cause a problem to put that on my tax form.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I guess just that I’m concerned putting it as my permanent address will change it from having been just a permanent place of abode last year

1/19/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is***** will assist you today.

For tax purposes the determination of your primary residence is determined by the specific facts of your situation.

From what you are stating you appear to be a NYC resident for tax purposes given the amount of time you live in NYC: "but I have a permanent place of abode in New York City since last July. Since I will likely have it for 11 months this year"

___

Items that are considered when determining your primary residence for tax purposes:

Time Spent In Home

If you own and live in only one home, that home is your primary residence. If you own and live in more than one home, the IRS judges your primary residence by which home you spend more time in. For example, if you live in one home for eleven months out of the year and the other home for one months out of the year, the home that you spend eleven months in is your primary residence.

Government Documents

If you spend equal amounts of time in more than one residence, the IRS may examine your address on your government-issued documents to determine which address is your primary address. For example, if your driver's license lists the address of one of your residences, the IRS is more likely to consider that your primary residence, especially if you use this address for federal and state taxes.

Life Interactions

The IRS also examines where you have built a life for yourself. For example, if you belong to a religious organization and participate in social activities in the city where one of the residences is located, the IRS is more likely to consider this your primary residence than a residence that is farther away from your social activities. In addition, the IRS examines where you have opened your bank account, where you go to the doctor and other evidence suggesting that you have built your life somewhere.

If this has answered your question and have no further questions, please take a moment to accept the answer.

Please also let me know if you have any follow up questions or remaining concerns.

My goal is to ensure you receive 100% satisfaction.

_____

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to rate and accept my answer by clicking on three stars or more.

A positive rating of 5 stars is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi Chad! Thanks! I do think that I am a resident of NYC. So I have to put that address on my tax documents? Will that cause problems for last year when I had the apartment for just a few months, but was not truly a resident?

Using the address won't create a problem. When you complete your tax return you are asked additional questions asking where exactly you were a resident of during the tax year.

You should use the NYC address if you will be residing there more often.

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Phone call session started