Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I am preparing the 1099 forms for my contractors. I lived in…

I am preparing the 1099...
I am preparing the 1099 forms for my contractors. I lived in Texas 10 months and the last two months of 2017 moved to California.
While preparing the forms I ran into two dilemmas:
Shall I use my California address as the payer's address? In Texas, I have a "mailbox" type of address left.
Also, which address of the two shall I send the1096 form?
Thank you
1/18/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

For federal tax purposes - that makes no difference - you may use either address - whatever is convenient for you.

But if services were provided in California - there might be additional filing

See here

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/businesses/infortrns/when2file.shtml

Services were provided in Texas. So if I use the Texas address the filing address for 1096 should be the one to Texas too. IS that correct?

For federal tax purposes - that makes NO difference.

But to reduce possible litigation with FTB - it might be better to avoid CA address.

While formally - the address you are using should be irrelevant.

How do I rate an answer?
You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer.
Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you.
If the value of your question is more than the value of your deposit, then your deposit will be applied toward the balance due and the remainder will be debited from your previously specified payment method.
Please remember that your Expert will not be paid until you leave a positive rating for the answer.

Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer
Thank you very much.