Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I am on a non-immigrant visa and I was out of the US for…

HiI am on a non-immigrant...
HiI am on a non-immigrant visa and I was out of the US for around 4 months in 2017. As I was out of US, I didn't have any health insurance. I am preparing my tax filing now and I want to specify the months I didn't have coverage but there is no field to mention that I was out of the states for the uncovered period. How can I fill this in my tac returns so I can get the penalty waived for not keeping health coverage.Utkarsh
1/12/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

The issue is that being outside teh US may NOT be used as an exemption from health insurance coverage requirements.

Unless you qualify for some other coverage exemptions - you still will be subject to individual shared responsibility payment when you file your federal income tax.

See here

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/aca-individual-shared-responsibility-provision-exemptions

if any may be used in your situation.

Thank you. My coverage for the rest of the year was a health plan I bought directly and it doesn't provide any 1095A/B/C forms for tax credit. However, I have bank statements to justify that I had coverage along with my membership card. Would that suffice for me to file for tax credit for the time I had coverage in the US.

The individual shared responsibility provision of the Affordable Care Act requires you and each member of your family to have qualifying health coverage (also known as minimum essential coverage).

The IRS will identify if your insurance is a qualifying health coverage based on 1095A/B/C forms.

Without such form - your insurance will NOT be considered a qualifying health coverage.

.

Regarding the tax credit - PTC - a property tax credit - to qualify - in additional to other requirements - the qualifying health coverage must be purchased via the Marketspace - and that is reported on form 1095A - without having the form - you will not be eligible to claim a credit.

Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer