Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Ballpark: I have $ 420,000 US dollars in gambling wins but…

Customer Question
Ballpark: I have...

Ballpark: I have $ 420,000 US dollars in gambling wins but win/loss statement says I have a loss of $150,000. How do I calculate taz taxes ?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What else do you need?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I don't really have any other deductions

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Finance
1/5/2018
Financial Professional: Patrick Mullis, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 months ago
Patrick Mullis
Patrick Mullis, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

In general you can only deduct losses up to your winnings and only if you itemize deductions (subject to any limitation thresholds -roughly 2% of earnings). So if you itemize and deduct losses (subject to any limitation thresholds -roughly 2% of earnings) you still owe on winnings net of that. Simple Example: 420,000 -150,000 would approximately be on your taxes as 420,000 winnings - a deduction of (150,000 - (8,400 or 2% of 450K). Hope this helps if so please rate me 5 stars. Thanks and good luck.

Checking for understanding: would the approximate tax liability be $8400? Thanks!

No you have don't get to deduct 8400 of the 150,000 loss you only get to deduct 141,600 because 2% of your earnings is not deductible.