Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

I have an S-corp which owns 30% of an LLC that offers design…

Customer Question
I have an S-corp which...
I have an S-corp which owns 30% of an LLC that offers design services.Since both of these companies will flow to my Schedule E Part II. Shall i single out the LLC as its own line or lump it into the S-Corp's line?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Finance
1/1/2018
Financial Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 month ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi!

...

If the S-Corp OWNS the LLC. Then the LLC will generate income that flows to the gross receipts.

...

The LLC must be a multiple member, so files a 1065, and gives the S-Corp a K-1 for the 30% distributive share or profit.

...

That, then, is a revenue for the S-Corp. The S-Corp, then has its own expenses on the 1120-S.

...

Then THAT profit is what flows to the Schedule E

Please let me know if you have any other questions AT ALL before rating me.

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit") … That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Lane,Thanks. A related question, I originally owned the 30% of the LLC personally. In the middle of the year, I started the S-corp with the intention of capturing all of my income from multiple companies (such as this 30% LLC) into one place and contribute to my solo 401k.From my point of view, I'm contributing the ownership of the LLC to the S-corp. Is this a taxable event? What paperwork do i need to document such a change?

NO, you nave it exactly. The value of the property becomes the corporation's basis in it when it is donated or transferred to an S-corp.

...

The value of that property is also added to the capital account of the shareholder who contributed it.

You should document the changes in the LLC operating agreement. And show the LLC interest on the S-Corp's balance sheet

Remember, however, the the basis for solo-401(k) contribution is SALARY, not S-Corp gross income

By the way, here's a really good overview by ***** ***** (an EA) Lots of stuff out there isn't accurate, but I've never found home to be wrong: https://www.thebalance.com/donating-property-to-an-s-corporation-3193484

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit"– That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On my 2017 LLC tax return, do i need to report this change of ownership (from 30% owned by me personally to 30% owned by my S-corp). Does it incur any tax consequence on me personally or on the LLC or the S corp?

No, it just changes how/what you'll report.

...

You need to change the operating agreement or the LLC and again you'll change what it is that the S-Corp owns. owns

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS