Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have a question regarding section 179 small business

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding section 179 small business deduction. If I purchase a qualifying vehicle for, lets say 30,000... is that 30,000 basically like I didn't earn it with the section 179 deduction?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

That's pretty much it...

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Finance
12/31/2017
Financial Professional: Carter McBride, Financial Advisor replied 6 months ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA.

With IRC 179, a normal car has some limitations that on how much you can deduct. For SUVs, trucks, and vans (basically anything weighing over 6,000 lbs, there is no limitation. The limitations are listed here: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p946#en_US_2016_publink1000107705.

The amount you can deduct is then subtracted out of income, which will reduce the amount of tax you pay.

Hope that helps. If you need anything else, just let me know. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Hey! Just wanted to follow up and see if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!