Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have a question regarding the non-renewal of the debt

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding the non-renewal of the debt relief act. Are shortsales and foreclosures going to be taxable for 2017, even though the process was started in 2015?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We started the process of shortsale in May 2015. Citibank took 2 and 1/2 years to do anything and the house was finally sold in a shortsale 2 weeks ago. Tax consequences?? We are both retired and only have social security for income..

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

We live out of the country and owed about $198,000 on a property that according to real estate appraisers was worth about $85,000

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Finance
12/21/2017
Financial Professional: TaxRobin, Senior Advisor replied 7 months ago
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If you are issued a 1099C then you may find that congress has extended this relief again. They have not yet but the extension has happened in the past so you will have to wait to see.

The Act initially covered a three-year period between 2007 and 2010, but was extended four times, to 2012, 2013, 2014 and then to 2016. This can also apply to debt that is discharged in 2017 provided that there was a written agreement entered into in 2016.

I do know all that. I also contacted the senators who proposed the bill...#122, but no movement has been made except to send it to the finance committee. In past years, it was passed before the end of the year....but since they do not seem to want to really help the "middle" class...I am not sure. Can they attach our social security?

SS can be attached but only a portion.

• Through the Federal Payment Levy Program to collect overdue federal taxes by levying up to 15 percent of each monthly payment until the debt is paid under Section 1024 of the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (Public Law 105-34);
thanks...insolvency (form 982) it is then.....

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Useless info....not any help