Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

I will be recieving the second and final severance chaeck…

Customer Question
I will be recieving...

I will be recieving the second and final severance chaeck the first of the year from a previous employer. The issue is Both current job and this severance will be withholding social security tax. I would klike to change w4 to withold less taxes to help make up for the double social security witholdings

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Finance
12/20/2017
Financial Professional: Lev, Tax Preparer replied 2 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

The issue is that the severance payment is classified as supplemental wages - and most employers do not use W4 information for withholding from supplemental wages...

While you may want to communicate with your payroll department - generally federal income tax withholding from supplemental wages is based on 25% rate.

After discussing with the former employer they said to adjust my w4

It is possible that your employer is using W4 withholding instead of flat percentage.
Let me know your gross amount - and I will verify expected withholding.

97,000

Assuming your employer normally pays bi-weekly

and assuming you prepare W4 form as Single with TWO allowances

Your expected paycheck should look as

• Federal Withholding $36,554
  • Social Security $6,014
  • Medicare $1,406.5
  • Net Pay $53,026

If you prepare W4 form as Married with TWO allowances - that will result

• Federal Withholding $36,050
  • Social Security $6,014
  • Medicare $1,406.5
  • Net Pay $53,530
I understand that I will submit a new w4 with 9 allowances. Is there any other way to avoid double paying social security tax. It happened this year (2017)

I am not sure why you think that social security tax is paid twice...
If payment will come before Dec 31 - ALL your wages will be considered for social security tax.
The limit for wages subject to social security tax in 2017 is $127,200

As soon as your total wages overpass that limit - there will NOT be social security taxes withheld.

If you will prepare W4 form as Married with NINE allowances - that will result

• Federal Withholding $35,618
  • Social Security $6,014
  • Medicare $1,406.5
  • Net Pay $53,961

So far - in your situation - if you want to reduce withholding - 25% flat withholding rate will result less withholding.

Well that did niot answer my question. Thanks I'd like a refund please

If you need any clarification - be sure to ask.

But otherwise - be aware that experts do not have access to your account - and for all payment option - please communicate with the customer service.

Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant