Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Accounting question... I run a service business and I don't…

Accounting question... I run a...
Accounting question... I run a service business and I don't have a very organized paper trail of my income and expenses for the past seven years. If I were to be audited, I would likely be fined. I was wondering if it would be more safe to open a new LLC and close the old one so that I can start fresh and not be responsible for having the required paper trail or last seven years of record keeping. Thank you.
12/16/2017
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and would be glad to help you out with this.

Your best bet is to just start keeping better records now, whether that is with Excel or Quickbooks, or some other accounting software. There is no need to close the prior business.

Typically, the IRS only has three years from the date you file a tax return to audit your returns. So, if you start doing it properly now, after three years, then all of your tax returns with the poor record keeping would then be outside the IRS ability to audit the return. Closing the company does not change the time the IRS has to audit the company.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor
Are you saying the IRS will still audit a closed company?