Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I am 58 now in march i will be 59, i am thinking about

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** am 58 now in march i will be 59, i am thinking about setting up a Roth IRA so i can invest it in real estate, one of the ROTH rules i read said you can withdraw the ROTH & gains on investment in 5 years or 591/2 tax free, so i have 8 months to do this, i would like to no i this correct or do i have to wait 5 years ?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not at this time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Finance
12/11/2017
Financial Professional: TaxRobin, Senior Advisor replied 7 months ago
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

ROTH IRAs have no tax on the earnings when withdrawn. The 59 1/2 requirement is so you have no penalty for taking out early.

An investor can withdraw his or her contributions to a Roth IRA at any time without tax or penalty. But that does not apply to any earnings or interest that you have earned on your Roth IRA investment.

In order to withdraw your earnings from a Roth IRA tax and penalty free, not only must you be over 59½ years-old, but your initial contributions must also have been made to your Roth IRA five years before the date when you start withdrawing funds.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.