Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

My mother moved into my house 7 months ago. She's 85 years…

My mother moved into...

My mother moved into my house 7 months ago. She's 85 years old and gets $614 in Social Security each month.My mother will not give me any money because my sister needs the money to pay for a long term policy and for supplememtal medicare health insurance. . Does she qualify for any other benefits ?

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Live in Bronx ny 10463

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just general info on elder law

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

You might be able to claim your mother as a dependent.

Tests To Be a Qualifying Relative for dependency purposes are

1. The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.
2. The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who don't have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).
3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,050.
4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

It seems as your mother qualifies as your dependent.

Her social security benefits are not taxable and because of that are not counted toward gross income limit.

Let me know if you need any help with determination or reporting.

Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer
HOW DO PEOPLE SURVIVE? SHE HAS NO MONEY FOR FOOD. DOES SHE QUALIFY Y FOR FOOD STAMPS?
Phone call session started

Yes - she may qualify for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly Food Stamps)

as well as for other mean tested benefits.

To qualify for SNAP - her monthly gross income should be below $1307

You may help her to apply here

https://mybenefits.ny.gov/mybenefits/begin

.

Specifically for those with income below certain level - may qualify for SSI - Supplemental Security Income (SSI) - which is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes).

This link will take you to the Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool. By taking 5 to 10 minutes to answer a few questions, you can find out if you are eligible for SSI or other benefits.

https://ssabest.benefits.gov/