Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Is this real or robotic? is this just auto answer, or are…

Customer Question
Is this real or...

Is this real or robotic?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Is this just auto answer, or are you a real person?

Accountant's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the accountant more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Do you pay taxes on a stock loan? The company (S Corp) I work for is willing to offer me options to purchase stock but they do it through quarterly distribution at full value of the stock they gave me. Do I pay taxes on each distribution even though I don't keep the income?They gave me 5 years to pay off the loan, using the distribution. But now I am taxed quarterly, heavily, on this distribution value, even though none of that income is mine, as it goes right back into paying off the stock loan. How can I be held responsible for paying tax on income I don't have or own until the loan is paid off?

Accountant's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

What does that mean? When you are ready you'll take me to the approriate page?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Finance
11/22/2017
Financial Professional: Lev, Tax Preparer replied 7 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

Hi and welcome to our site!

If you are taking a loan - and I assume that is a bona fide loan with clear expectation that you will pay it back - that is NOT taxable income.

However if there is no intention to pay the money back - that will be a compensation for services (even if you call it a "loan") - and as such will be your taxable income.

So based on your information - it sounds that you

-- took a loan and used proceeds to purchase shares of the corporation - that is not taxable transaction as you have intention to pay teh loan back.

-- receiving periodic compensation for your services - that is taxable transaction - and compensation you are getting is included into your taxable income regardless how you use the money

-- you used these distributions to pay off the loan - correct? So you may not deduct these payments because the original loan was not taxable. Regardless where you took funds to pay off the loan.

-- when the loan will eventually be paid off - you will have shares of S-corporation without any loan obligation. The amount you paid for shares will be your basis.

-- Thus if you sell shares - for that value - you will not have any taxable income, but if you sell shares for more than you paid - the difference will be your taxable gain.

Let me know if my understanding is correct and if you have any additional questions.