Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

If I have to issue a 1099 to someone that will apply for…

If I have to issue...
If I have to issue a 1099 to someone that will apply for ITIN number, can I issue the 1099 with no social security or ITIN number?
11/21/2017
socrateaser, Attorney

First send the person an IRS form W-9. Then when they don't respond, you can issue the 1099 without their ITIN, because you have proof that you tried and failed to obtain the required number. Otherwise, the IRS can impose a penalty on you for failing to provide the taxpayer's ITIN.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Attorney