Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I am considering, possibly, moving my 401k to a IRA. I am…

I am considering, possibly, moving...
I am considering, possibly, moving my 401k to a IRA. I am just in the starting phase of this. I still need to speak with my accountant.The retirement company that handles my account has sent, at my request a Distribution form with several options. One being a transfer from 401 to Ira, a monthly or quarterly distribution, etc. to look at all my options and how these items can affect me tax wisemy retirement advisor explains that I need to run by my Accountant my options, etc before i make a choice and sign and return the form. I explained that i will meet with my cpa to review my options.My question is a different one, can my advisor/retirement company make this change in my account without my permission or my signed form? Just by speaking on the phone with me in a general manner? Thank u
11/19/2017
PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Your investment house can not make any changes like these without your signed approval. That applies to both your 401(k) administrator and the new investment company you want to use, if you choose. A phone call won't do it.

You could fax a signed approval form if you can't go and sign, or mail in a signed form, but a phone call won't do it.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

You have given me the best information. I appreciate that
Is there a particular law that protects us, as investors, from adminstrators acting without our written permission?
If I can have my last question answered, I would greatly appreciate it. Then I will rate you for your great service

The primary sources of federal investment adviser regulation are the Advisers Act, 15 U.S.C. 80b-1 et seq., and the rules thereunder, Title 17, Part 275 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

PDtax

PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA
Ok, thank you so much for this info. I will rate you now.