Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

I recently got divorced. As part of the divorce decree I was

Customer Question
to make a one time...
I recently got divorced. As part of the divorce decree I was to make a one time payment of 10k to my wife that was to represent her equity in the house. I was unable to do a cash out refi because we didn’t have enough equity in the house. I took a loan from my 401k to cover the 10k. My question if the 10k is changed from a loan to a withdrawal would I be responsible for the taxes seeing as how that money ultimately went to my wife as part of the divorce settlement?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: That’s it
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Finance
11/18/2017
Financial Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Accountant replied 27 days ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

Q: My question if the 10k is changed from a loan to a withdrawal would I be responsible for the taxes seeing as how that money ultimately went to my wife as part of the divorce settlement?

A: The withdrawn amount is taxable as ordinary income regardless. However, if the 401k withdrawal was not stipulated by a Qualifications Domestic Relation Order (QDRO), you are also on the hook for the 10% early withdrawal penalty. SEE BELOW;

----------------------------------------

The cost and complexity of the division of a 401k in divorce is only one part of the consideration. There are potential benefits to using proceeds from a 401k in divorce. For example, if cash is needed, you may be able to avoid the early withdrawal penalty tax if money is withdrawn as part of the divorce decree and withdrawal is done by use of a QDRO.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.sensiblemoney.com/learn/how-to-divide-a-401k-in-divorce/

-----------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Accountant