Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

I own a company with the stock symbol AGNC. I am looking for

Customer Question
advice on whether or not...
I own a company with the stock symbol AGNC. I am looking for advice on whether or not this stock has a high probability of bankruptcy. I've owned it for over 6 years and currently have a paper loss. I am okay with going down I used to think it was okay to hold a stock because eventually they will go up. However recently I had a company go bankrupt on me even when their financials look good. So I'm wondering if I should sell what I have and take a $6,000 loss instead of waiting and possibly seeing the company go bankrupt and then losing all my money.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Finance
11/17/2017
Financial Professional: Chad CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 1 month ago
Chad CFP ®
Chad CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

Q: I am looking for advice on whether or not this stock has a high probability of bankruptcy.

Total Revenue was down 11M in 2016 However One analyst has a "Buy" rating and six analyst have a "hold" and zero analyst have a sell rating for ticker symbol AGNC traded on the NASDAQ.

"The company's investments consist of securities, for which the principal and interest payments are guaranteed by United States Government-sponsored entities, such as the Federal National Mortgage Association and the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corp., or by U.S. Government agency, such as the Government National Mortgage Association"

Here is the Marketwatch link to verify the analyst ratings.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/agnc/analystestimates

REIT's that pay almost 11% annual dividends are subject to interest rate risk and other market risks. Does your over all loss include the 11% annual dividend payout?

We all watched Lehman brothers go bankrupt in about a week. So bankruptcy is always a concern. Will, the company go bankrupt is a question that should be considered within context of your investment portfolio for risk management, because nobody thought Lehman would go bankrupt a week before it happened.

My best advice is to know how this investment fits into your overall investment strategy as part of a diversified portfolio.

The recent trading volume for the company stock is reported to be in line with recent historic average for the company's stock. That's generally a good sign.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. Also, I am not able to give specific investment advice with out performing a complete portfolio review.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My portfolio is a mess. I made the mistake of investing a lot of money into one company and ended up losing 33k when they went bankrupt. Since then I'm trying to get everything into mutual funds or ETFs. I really do want to start investing with low risk since I don't need huge amounts of growth. If you can show me how to safely make 3 or 4 % annually that is all I would need. But we can talk more. I'd like to move forward with showing you my portfolio. How do we do this?

Hello.

I can assist you in constructing a properly diversified portfolio.

The easiest way to start would be if you placed the ticker symbol for the stocks, mutual funds or ETF's that you currently own in this chat. Also include the percentage amount that the particular stock makes up of your portfolio.

For example: AGNC makes up approximately 10% of your portfolio.

This would be a good starting point without you having to send any personal information in this venue. If further assistance is needed then we could move to a secure setting with encryption.

Do you own these stocks in a tax deferred account such as an IRA or a taxable account?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
USAA Brokerage Account
USO #shares=435, Market Value $4937, Gain/loss -$9
USAGX #shares=897, Market Value $11463, Gain/loss -$2645
USSA Roth 401K
AGNC #shares=845, Market Value $16754, Gain/loss -$5883
USAGX #shares=1641, Market Value $20977, Gain/loss -$3113Fluid Money Checking/Savings Account
$28000Don't know if I mentioned this before but I am in the military, 34 years old, and will retire in 10 years. I have not kids (nor will ever have any) and a wife that works. She may work after I retire but my plan is not to work. The military pension is quite good at the rank of LtCol. At the time of my retirement it is estimated to be around $4500 per month (conservative estimate). I understand that I can not draw on the Roth until 59.5 so we may want to completely stop putting money into the Roth. We also should be able to put 20 to 30K into our investments each year up to my retirement. With all that said I'd like to earn a small return to supplement my pension.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Again no rush on the info. I'm curious to hear your insights and am open to a phone call.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Chad, haven't heard back from you. Judy wondering if you have had a chance to review what I sent you
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Chad, can we still discuss my finances? If a phone call is better I will pay the added cost
Chad CFP ®
Chad CFP ®