Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have a Texas LLC and we sell agricultural parts for

Customer Question
I have a Texas...

I have a Texas LLC and we sell agricultural parts for tractors, we have a contract manufacturer make our proprietary parts, then sell them to farmers. Farmers are obviously tax exempt, but are we also tax exempt? Do we have to file for a sales and use tax for Texas, if not?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Finance
The reason I ask is because I have a quote from a new manufacturer and they asked for a reseller’s certificate but I not sure if I should register for a sales and use tax and then reseller certificate OR if I should apply to be tax exempt since we are an agriculture company. Thanks for your help!
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/16/2017
Financial Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Accountant replied 7 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

Ok, thank you. This is a new LLC, that is why I am asking. In a previous company that was an Indiana S corp, we were tax exempt as an AG company but I don’t know if it’s the same for Texas. Let me know if you have any questions.

Q: Do we have to file for a sales and use tax for Texas, if not?

A: In brief, you must obtain a Texas sales and use tax permit if you are an individual, partnership, corporation or other legal entity engaged in business in Texas and you:

• sell tangible personal property in Texas;
  • lease or rent tangible personal property in Texas; or
  • sell taxable services in Texas.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/sales/faq/permit.php

----------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Yea, I saw that but we don’t sell personal property, lease or rent or sell taxable services. Also, see my previously reply.

In brief, yes, you are exempt.

Personal tangible property is defined as follows;

Tangible personal property is everything other than real estate that is used in a business or rental property. Examples of tangible personal property are computers, furniture, tools, machinery, signs, equipment, leasehold improvements, supplies, and leased equipment.

---------------------------------

For purposes of this exemption, equipment is defined as an apparatus, device, hand tool or simple machine. Machinery is power operated. The exemption also applies to accessories and repair and replacement parts for qualifying machinery and equipment, as well as the labor needed to install the accessory or perform the repair, provided the equipment has not been incorporated into realty.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

file:///C:/Users/angel/Downloads/94-101%20(4).pdf

Personal property for a business would everything from the smallest stapler or calculator to a company-owned car or large piece of machinery. It includes manufacturing equipment, office furniture and equipment, computers, tablets, cell phones, and vehicles purchased and used by the business, and, basically, everything that isn't "nailed down." In other words, personal property is movable, while real property is not.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.thebalance.com/personal-property-of-a-business-398407