Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I owe back income taxes. I have not filed city taxes for a…

Customer Question
I owe back income taxes...
I owe back income taxes. I have not filed city taxes for a couple years. I live in one city and work part-time in another one. I never filed last year. Where do I start? I want to make sure to change my withholding so I don't have these issues in the future. In addition to my fulltime job, I am working for Schipt (on-demand grocery shopping) and will get a 1099. I need to know how to best handle that. I have been keeping track of expenses and income. Is there software that is easy to use?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Finance
11/10/2017
Financial Professional: bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast replied 10 months ago
bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

As to the city tax returns, you will want to file those returns as soon as possible.

You can change your withholding with your employer.

As to the 1099-MISC you will receive, you are on the right track by keeping documentation for your income and expenses. You will need that information to file your tax return.

Because you will receive a 1099-MISC, you are considered self-employed for that income. Federally, you will use Schedule C to report the income and expenses, which will be attached to your personal 1040.

Experts are not permitted to recommend any one product over another, but there are several software products that you can use such as Quickbooks. The following link contains information regarding this type of software:

https://www.allbusiness.com/best-accounting-software-small-business-owner-22175-1.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to help you.