Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I am filling out a FAFSA for my daughter who is starting…

Customer Question
I am filling out...

I am filling out a FAFSA for my daughter who is starting college in September 2018. I was married in 2016 and filed my taxes as joint-married. I am now divorced as of 2-2017 and need to fill out the FAFSA with only my information. I am having trouble figuring out my adjusted gross income.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I think that is it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Finance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2017
Financial Professional: Lev, Tax Preparer replied 10 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

Can you specify in which state you live?
Is that a community property state?

I live in Massachusetts
Hello??

Massachusetts is NOT a community property state - that means

- for YOUR Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) only - you will need to prepare your tax return as if you were filing as single

- and that amount will be on form 1040 last line.

That will be for calculations only - and you do not need to send that form to anyone - but will keep as supporting document.

Let me know if you need any help with calculations.

I already filed for 2016 as married. Fafsa wants my income from 2016. So do I just give them my information without the IRA withdrawal?

IRA distributions are included into AGI - you will need to add these amounts to your other income.

What other income items dis you had?

fafsa only wants my information. If we took out 46,000 would I add half of that to my gross income?

That would be correct if you live in a community property state - income is divided equally.

But in Massachusetts - you will need to report your income only as it is reported to the IRS on W2, 1099s, etc.