Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Can a buyer represent herself in a real estate transaction…

Can a buyer represent...

Can a buyer represent herself in a real estate transaction in Florida? Not as an agent, just as a buyer?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

It's a simple question.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Can the question be answered or are you just going to keep asking me questions?

10/21/2017
socrateaser, Attorney

The answer is, "yes," a buyer can represent themselves in a real estate transaction. However, a buyer cannot receive a sales commission as part of the real estate contract, because the commission can only be earned by a licensed real estate agent. As an alternative, a buyer can negotiate to have the sales price of the property reduced by the amount that the buyer's agent's commission would have been worth, had the buyer used an agent. But, the price reduction cannot be characterized in the purchase agreement as a sales commission.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Attorney
Thank you for your reply, it confirmed my education. But for some reason the listing agent refused to believe it and would not remove that he was a transaction agent, and put his Brokerage firm name in the blank that said 'Buyers Agent'.

The agent wants both sides of the sales commission, and that's how he/she can get it.

Thanks for using Justanswer!