Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

I have about $400,000 to invest to create and income. How…

Hi, I have about $400,000...
Hi, I have about $400,000 to invest to create and income. How much could i expect to make a year in low to moderate risk investments? What type of investments would you recommend? I am 52 and medically disabled, not currently collecting disability or do i have any plans to. I have been living out of the country and am moving back. Thank you
10/19/2017
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name Chad CFP ® professional and I will be able to assist you today.

A portfolio composed of 50% stocks and 50% bonds would generally be considered a moderate risk portfolio.

Historically a moderate risk portfolio has returned on average 5 to 8 percent annual. This is a historic average, in any one year stocks and bonds my have a negative annual return or return of more than 8% as would be the case this year.

If any of this money is tax deferred then you would generally want to put your income producing assets, such as dividend and bonds in the tax deferred account and your growth stocks in the taxable account.

I wouldn't advise creating an investment portfolio solely based on your particular risk profile without taking into consideration information such as your longevity, standard of living, possible future events other steams of income. At the age of 52 you have a lot of living left to do!

A majority of firms such as vanguard, Charles schwab and fidelity have questionnaires that you can complete and advisors who will assist you for a low cost. I advise speaking a representative from a company such as the one's i mentioned above who can give you specific answers. I am not able to give you specific answers without performing a complete financial plan.

I am happy to answer any of your follow up questions and will assist you where I am able given the information you provide.

The information I have provided above is an general overview of some items to consider while planning to invest your assets.

I am having a hard time with having all my money in stocks and bonds. Not being able to work do to health reasons, and not sure how much that will improve if at all. Just afraid of loosing everything in that game. Any other options?

I'm sorry I just wrote a response and it didn't send or save. give me one moment please

Given what you stated I suggest looking into a variable annuity.

Yes, annuities do charge a higher fee, but they also offer guarantees on your principal.

You will have some restrictions to your funds(generally able to withdraw 10% annually while still staying withing the perimeters of the contract), but you also get the option to participate in the market with the guarantee of your principal.

The annuity is a contract because the annuity asks you to keep your money with them, while they invest your money and give you a guarantee to at least give you your principal back, but everyone wins if they can earn you more money.

Annuities aren't as simple as what I am stating and each annuity is different so you MUST read and understand the contract/prospectus.

For example: Here is a prospectus for a company called pacific life. The prospectus is 308 pages

http://www.annuities.pacificlife.com/public/prospectuses/pvo/pvo_prospectus.pdf

Here is a prospectus for a company called pacific life. The prospectus is 308 pages

A variable annuity is worth reviewing for an investor who is concerned about losing principal in the stock market.

Additionally, you could buy individual bonds and hold them until maturity. Each bond will have it's own risk, but you will know exactly what you own, the interest rate and maturity date.

I understand it is a complicated subject. When i get my property sold i will seek more detailed help. Thank you for your time

It's a big decision. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. What we are talking about is just general advice. When or if you want to be more specific please let me know.

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®