Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

My daughter is 22 yo and graduated from a community college…

My daughter is 22 yo...
My daughter is 22 yo and graduated from a community college last year. She has been working part time since then and this Fall started classes as a full time student at a four year college in her junior year. Can we claim her as a dependent for 2018 tax purposes? Also if I understand correctly if we claim her as a dependent we need to have her covered by health insurance; i.e. if she is our dependent and we purchase health insurance we need to provide her coverage on that policy . Right now she has her own and my husband and I don't have any at all due to a job loss. If we would need to include her on a health insurance policy do we have to count her part time income as part of our "household income"? She will file her own income tax separately from ours next year and will remain a full time student. Thanks.
10/18/2017
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

First of all - REGARDLESS if you claim your daughter as a dependent or not - you may have her covered by the health insurance at your work till age 27 as long as she is not eligible for her own health insurance at her work.

Then - everyone is responsible to have health insurance - and if not - there might be some penalties on the tax return for those without health insurance UNLESS any exemption may be claimed. In this sense - you are correct - you woudl be responsible for penalties when you or your dependents do not have health insurance coverage.

For that purposes - when penalty or possible exemptions are determined - your dependent's income is included into your "household income" if that dependent is required to file his/her tax return. If dependent is not required to file - his/her income is not counted.

.

Regarding claiming her as a dependent...

For that purpose - she will be considered as a full time student for 2018 IF she will be a full time student for at least 5 months in 2018.

If so - because she is below 24 - she will be your dependent as long as she doesn't provide more than half of her own support.

Let me know if you need any help with determination.

Thanks. Does she have to be a full time student AND provide less then half of her own support in order to qualify as a dependent? If so, could you define "providing more than half of her own support" ? She lives with us and commutes to university so she gets "room and board" from us but makes more than the amount of the income tax "personal deduction" and pays for her own car, auto insurance, clothes, entertainment etc. Thanks

Does she have to be a full time student AND provide less then half of her own support in order to qualify as a dependent?

Yes - that is correct.

Actually there are Tests To Be a Qualifying Child

See page 12

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid).

.

For support test (#4) - if you have doubts - we need to use the Worksheet for Determining Support - see page 16

That will help you with determination.

Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer