Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Me again :) I have different scenario. I have couple that I…

Me again :) I have...
Me again :) I have different scenario. I have couple that I e-filed a return for yesterday. It was rejected by the IRS. It looks to be because one of the daughters filed a tax return as well. The daughter did mark that she could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return BUT she took the entire $6300 standard deduction. So I have questions. 1). Can the parents still list her as a dependent. 2). Isn't the daughter limited to a $1,050 standard deduction since she can be claimed on someone elses tax return?
10/17/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

You're answering your own questions again Kathleen ... :0)

...

The issue is likely that she took the personal exemption of 4050, so the parents can;t take the dependency exemption.

...

Only one return gets the 4050 exemption.

Lol...you know me...I like to be 100% certain. But I'm not seeing the $4,030 exemption. I don't know if that is because it is a 1040EZ form? Please see attached.

Hmmm, that doesn't appear to be it.

...

For 2016, the exemption is $4,050 per person, which means a jointly-filing couple with 2 dependents get an exemption of $16,200 (4 people x $4,050)

...

One the EZ they don't break it out (it's combined, had she taken it) on line 5.

...

Notice that it says ... "If no one can claim you (or your spouse if a joint return), enter $10,350."

...

But only the standard deduction is there so SHE's not taking it (just the 6300 is there, rather than 6300 + 4050 = 10350)

...

So apparently THAT's not what's causing the reject.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Okay thanks Lane!

YW Kathleen ... be interested to see what you find. But again, doesn't appear that it's the exemption piece.