Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I am a Brit but have rental properties in America. 1. Do…

I am a Brit but...
I am a Brit but have rental properties in America.
1. Do these need to be declared on UK or US tax returns or on both?
2. If I need to compile a US tax return, what are the deadlines & when is the US tax year please?
3. If I bought a US property before the end of the last UK tax year but have yet to sell it (& when i do it will be in the following UK tax year), how is that handled for CGT?Many thanks.
10/15/2017
bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

1. You will report your U.S. rental properties on both U.S. and UK tax returns.

2. The U.S. tax year is the calendar year. Tax returns are due on or before 4/15 of the following year. For example, 2017 tax returns are due by 4/15/18, unless you request an extension of 6 months.

3. You will owe CGT when the property is sold.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Hi Barb,Many thanks for the rapid response! Much appreciated.Regarding the CGT, is that payable in both the US & the UK, i.e. does the US have CGT or an equivalent please?Thank you kindly.

In your case because you are a non-resident of the U.S., FIRPTA will apply when the property is sold.

See the following: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/firpta-withholding

bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast
Great. Many thanks.
Best wishes,

My pleasure.

Thank YOU for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated!

A final question please: after how much time spent in the US would we become tax resident there?
Thank you.

Here's a great IRS link regarding resident vs. nonresident:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc850/tc851

Many thanks Barb.

You're welcome!