Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Question for an accountant regarding a question on Turbo…

Customer Question
Question for an accountant regarding...
Question for an accountant regarding a question on Turbo Tax:I had to file an extension and wait on a corrected 1099-R form to come, and I just filled in that part on my taxes (on Turbo Tax) and it is now asking me a question I'm not sure I can answer: My husband became disabled the year before last, and here is the question:Youngest Retirement Age
What was the youngest age (husband's name) could have retired and received a pension from (husband's name) last employer if he hadn't become disabled? Learn More
Youngest Retirement Age
59My husband's job didn't have a pension, so I don't know how to answer this? When I push the "learn more" tab, it states:
"As a rule, retirement age is the earliest age you are eligible to receive a pension or annuity from your employer, if you had not been disabled. Most often that is age is 55, but it can vary from one company to another.If you retire on disability, the payments you receive are taxed as wages until you reach the minimum retirement age."Do you know what I should put in the age box?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Finance
My husband is 58 now)
Answered in 1 day by:
10/15/2017
Financial Professional: Amanda Russell,
 replied 11 months ago
Amanda Russell

Hi Betty,

Amanda here. I'm a financial and tax expert, with an EA (can file all forms and represent all types of business taxpayers before the IRS). I have a master's in accounting, MBA and big four public accounting background in taxation. I've also been a tax expert for Intuit for many years.

....

Since you said that your husband's job didn't have a pension and so he didn't have an age at which he could retire, you'll use the age that your husband would start qualifying for retirement benefits through Social Security. This is typically age 62 for most people. Do you know at what age your husband would have qualified for retirement through social security (had he not become disabled)?

It is most often 62 years old. However, with private companies or public service positions, often retirement can be based on age, time with the company, contract, etc.

TurboTax could have explained that better but since it can vary by individual situation, they probably want to be careful what they say.

Let me know if this fully answers your question or if you have any follow up information and questions.

If this answer does resolve your question, I'd greatly appreciate you rating my answer!