Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Quickest and easiest way to make my business incorporated..I…

Customer Question
Quickest and easiest way to...
Quickest and easiest way to make my business incorporated..I am a contractor..also would that make my taxes less at the end of the year?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Finance
10/14/2017
Financial Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Your options are LLC, S-Corp or C-Corp.

...

Really only the LLC and C-Corp are state law corporate entities. The S-COrp is simply an election to be taxed under the S-Corp tax regime for small corporations.

...

To set up the LLC, Form LLC-1 can be completed online at the California Secretary of State’s website and then filed by postal mail or hand delivered to the Secretary of State’s office. The filing fee is $70. With hand-delivered filings at the Sacramento Secretary of State's office, you can request expedited filing for an additional fee.

...

Here's the form: http://bpd.cdn.sos.ca.gov/llc/forms/llc-1.pdf

...

As far as saving on taxes, all passthroughs - sole proprietors, LLC's not electing corporate taxation, partnerships, and even the S-Corp - pass the state and federal income taxes through to the owner, on their personal return.

...

And you WON't likely save taxes on the C-Corporation (the classic regular corporation) becasue it pays it's OWN taxes on a corporate tax return, and then if you pull out money via dividends (after the corporation has already paid it's tax) you'll pay taxes at the personal level again - this is the double taxation you hear about with C-Corps.

...

There IS one possibility for saving on PAYROLL taxes (social security and medicare). That's by electing S-Corp taxation for the LLC (IRS form 2553). But this comes with some additional administrative overhead (quarterly payroll taxes, setting up a salary for yourself, paying in FICA on yourself at least monthly) and will only save on payroll taxes on the profit over and above that required salary.

...

Starting with the LLC and then electing S-Corp by March 15 of 2018 (to get the Jan 1 2018 effective date - too late to do it for 2017) is what I'd recommend ... IF you thing that your profit will be significant (you can always do the election in a future year)

...

let me know what questions you have from here.

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986