Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I just transitioned to an agency temp position and will be…

Customer Question
I just transitioned to...

I just transitioned to an agency temp position and will be paying for my ow insurance. Will I be able to claim tax credits for the insurance premiums I will be paying? As for 401k, how can I make pre-tax payments if my employer does not offer the option?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Finance
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/3/2017
Financial Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 8 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

HI. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

As long as you purchase an insurance through insurance marketplace (Obamacare - healthcare.gov or your state marketplace) you can claim the credit. You cannot claim a credit for insurance purchased on the open market.

As for 401K, if your employer does not offer it you cannot contribute to it. 401K is an employer sponsored plan - a fringe benefits. You can contribute up to 5500 (6500 if you are 50+) to traditioanl or Roth IRA.

How are you being compensated? Does the agency take out any Social security or Medicare taxes from your paycheck (employee) or you are getting a straight check (independent contractor)?

I am being compensated hourly by an agency who will be deducting federal and CA taxes. I'm not sure but I believe they should be taking social security and medicare taxes as well.By "claiming the credit", does that mean that my taxable income decreases? Is there a limit?If I contribute to a traditional or Roth IRA post-tax, will I be able to claim the credits when I file taxes?

A credit is not a deduction. A deduction reduces taxable income, a credit reduces tax liability (percentage of tax based on taxable income). The advance premium tax credit reduces your monthly insurance premiums. If you sign up for a qualified plan and qualify for credit, your monthly premiums are reduced by the eligible credit. When you file your taxes you will reconcile the credit on your tax return. You may be due additional credit, or, if you underestimated your income, you may have to repay some of the credit in the form of additional tax. Contributions to traditional IRA reduce your taxable income but Roth IRA contributions are not deductible.

if I understand correctly, health insurance premiums are not deductible, I might only qualify for credits?For traditional IRA, can I claim the deductions when I file taxes even if I had contributed post-tax month-by month?
Also, does the same apply if I open my own HSA? If I contribute post-tax now, can I claim deductions when I file taxes?

Insurance premiums are deductible, in theory. Only very small percentage of people can actually deduct the insurance premiums because of the 10% AGI and itemized deduction limit. You would have to be self-employed to take above the line deduction (deduct it directly from your income).

If you have a high deductible insurance plan you can contribute to HSA. By deducting it on your tax return you will make the contribution pretax. The same apply to IRA. Any contributions made with after tax income will become pretax when you deduct it from your taxable income on your tax return.

High deductible plans have usually lower premiums. Even if the your premiums are more than 10% of your income, you still need more to itemize your deductions. Generally mortgage interest in combination with property taxes and state and local tax deduction will get you there.

Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant