Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

It isn't a tax question it is a medical insurance billing…

Customer Question
It isn't a tax...

It isn't a tax question it is a medical insurance billing question

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My neighbor, an elderly couple, has blue cross blue shield medical insurance advantage through Medicare. They have gotten her recent billing really confused and she needs someone familiar with such things to help her get things straightened out.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Her husband was put on hospice last year for kidney cancer (but continues to muddle along) and this seems to have caused some of the confusion.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Finance
10/2/2017
Financial Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

Please let me know, exactly, how I can help.

...

ONE of the possibilities for confusion is that Medicare will send a periodic summary of the hospice costs ... and these are VERY large numbers. BUT, Medicare pays for this.

...

Somewhere on that document you should see the statement "this is not a bill," or it may come in the form of several columns and you'll notice that the "patient pays" column contains blanks or zeros.

...

Does that help? If not maybe you can provide more detail?