Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Im getting ready to create a business that will be a

Customer Question
Im getting ready to...

Im getting ready to create a business that will be a automotive and freight transportation company which is better LLC or S Corp?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We im going to be opening a veteran small business moving cars from auctions to there purchasing dealers lot as well as moving freight through several load sites and im just wondering if S Corp would be better or LLC

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Im going to be trying to do this off of a SBA loan through a veteran agency

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Finance
9/29/2017
Financial Professional: Lev, Tax Preparer replied 8 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

When you just want to start the business and not sure whether it will be successful or not - it mighty be better to start as a solo proprietor.

As a general rule - you want to keep your business structure as simpler as possible and avoid any unnecessary overhead...

If you are sure that your business will be successful and/or want some protection for you personally or there are other reasons - you may create a separate business structure - the LLC - which will be taxed as disregarded entity on your individual tax return - as if there were not any LLC. But still for all other purposes - the LLC will be a separate entity - it may own assets, hire employees, etc.
When you business operation will take over - and you could predict net income about $40-$50k - at that time - I suggest to make S-corporation election - and that will potentially provide you with some tax saving.

That is my general view on your situation based on limited information.

Please elaborate as needed.

ok. are all startup expenses write offs?

You will have an option to deduct some in the first year OR to amortize over 15 years.
These are referred as "business start-up and organizational costs" - and are generally capital expenditures.

However, you can elect to deduct up to $5,000 of business start-up and $5,000 of organizational costs in the year the business actually starts.

The $5,000 deduction is reduced by the amount your total start-up or organizational costs exceed $50,000.

Any remaining costs must be amortized.

Let me know what your start-up and organizational costs might be?

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer