Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I live in and I filed a 2016 tax return, married/jointly. I…

Customer Question
Hello, I live in...

Hello, I live in KY and I filed a 2016 tax return, married/jointly. I am getting a divorce and I have to refinance my home but when I called the IRS for a 2016 transcript, they found that I had paid what I owed, back in March 2017, and there is definitely a processing date. However, there is no file. My file was sent with the check. I was told I would have to ask for an extension from my loan representative if I didn't have a transcript. I don't want to file an extension because, I filed, and the IRS has my money and processed it. So if I file for an extension, will I pay again? Or be penalized for not filing on time when I did?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

My husband, soon to be ex, actually filed. I do have a copy of what was sent in. It was not filed electronically.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Finance
9/25/2017
Financial Professional: bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast replied 10 months ago
bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

How was the return sent? Regular mail? Certified mail, return receipt requested? Federal Express?

If you have a copy of what was sent to the IRS, you can both sign the return and provide a copy to your loan representative. You can also provide a copy of the cancelled check you sent to the IRS.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to help you.

Thank you. I really appreciate the advice. Unfortunately the bank wants a copy of an extension which isn't possible at this point. I do have a transcript of the check the IRS processed which was mailed with the return file. But the transcript of the money processed is not good enough and neither is a jointly signed copy of what was sent. So, I'm sending whole file back sans the money already paid. I will have start over with the loan but, hopefully interest rates stay low.
Thank you :)

My pleasure.

At this point, it looks like interest rates will stay low.