Finance

Have Finance Questions? Ask a Financial Expert Online.

Finance

Have a client, under 50, who participates in a 403()

Have a client, under 50...
Have a client, under 50, who participates in a 403(b) (Contribution limit (18K))1) Can she also contribute to a ROTH IRA, $5,500 (Single) Salary less that limit.
Is there a formula to calculate this ability?
9/20/2017
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If her salary is less than the $5500 she can not contribute the full $5500 but up to the amount of her salary.

To put it another way if she has a salary of $5000 then she can contribute up to $5000 and no more. The same general contribution limit applies to both Roth and traditional IRAs.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Hi,Her Salary is approx. 100K.
So she can fully contribute to 18K to a 403(b) in here Non-Profit company.
Then she can contribute another $5500 in a Roth IRA?

if they are age 50 or older, they can make a contribution to 403(b) and to a Roth IRA

At $100k in wages she would only be limited if she was married but filed a separate return from the spouse.

HI,She is 35 age. I thought I recalled that if you participate in a plan the was some formula limiting the dual contribution.

That is for a TRADITIONAL IRA and how much one can deduct if they are covered by a retirement plan

TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor
TaxRobin
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor