Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Its a general credit question not tax related, I received a…

Customer Question
Its a general credit...

Its a general credit question not tax related

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I received a call from a debt collector stating that there is a anoutstanding bill $5000+ allegedly linked to me from 2005 with a last payment made in 2008 I do not know of any such bill and they are threatening to go to my jobwhat arte my rights and or options

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

OI do not recognize the debt nor do I remember getting a credit card in 2005

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Finance
9/19/2017
Financial Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 11 months ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. This is a total fraudulent scam and violates both state and federal law. Respond to them by informing him that you do not owe this debt, that even if you did any statute of limitations would have lapsed, that his threats violate Federal and state law, and demand he immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt. Inform him that his threats of criminal prosecution constitute a violation of state law and the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will be reporting each and every violation to your state's attorney general's office and the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine at the Federal level. Also let him know that should he be stupid enough to file any negative credit report, you will be filing a defamation suit against him for both your actual and punitive damages. In my experience, the fines under the Federal Act, and the report to the attorney general's office, and the threat of the defamation should be an end to these collection efforts.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!