Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

1. I'm an OPT student. I want to verify my W4 form and EDD…

Customer Question
1. I'm an OPT student...
1. I'm an OPT student. I want to verify my W4 form and EDD form is correct.2. How do I make sure my paycheck is coded correctly so no social security or Medicare taxes are withheld?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Finance
9/15/2017
Financial Professional: TaxRobin, Senior Advisor replied 8 months ago
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Both the Internal Revenue Code and the Social Security Act allow an exemption from social security/Medicare taxes to alien students, scholars, teachers, researchers, trainees, physicians, au pairs, summer camp workers, and other nonimmigrants who have entered the United States on F-1, J-1, M-1, Q-1, or Q-2 visas and who are still classified as NONRESIDENT ALIENS under the residency rules of the Internal Revenue Code.

This means that foreign students in F-1, J-1, M-1, Q-1 or Q-2 nonimmigrant status who have been in the United States less than 5 calendar years are still NONRESIDENT ALIENS and are still exempt from social security/Medicare taxes.

This 5 year period also includes your practical training time so if you are still non resident you would not be subject to the SS and Medicare withholding.

then how should I fill out my W4? Please check the files I attached. thanks
2. How do I make sure my paycheck is coded correctly so no social security or Medicare taxes are withheld?

Your employer does this in their system for payroll. There is nothing else on the W4 for you to do

could you please check 3.PNG, and see if my DE4 form is correct?

Your employer knows your status (or should) and would know if FICA is applicable.

From what I can see yes, CA income tax would still apply and you cannot claim more allowances than for yourself

is 2.PNG also correct?

The line 6 amount is not a place for indicating your resident status (NRA) that is only if you want more income tax withheld. You cannot claim exempt so remove the NRA and it is correct

ok, cause Expert: emc011075 said Line 6.Write “nonresident alien” or “NRA” on the dotted line. If you would like to have an additional amount withheld, enter the amount on line 6. (https://www.justanswer.com/tax/9pnbo-i-m-working-under-opt-don-t-know-fill-w4.html)

Line 6 is for indicating if you want to have extra withheld. Here is what the IRS publication says for NRA and the W4 line 6

Line 6. Write “nonresident alien” or “NRA” on the dotted line. If you would like to have an additional amount withheld, enter the amount on line 6.

NRA goes on the ............... line not in the box

So like I said remove NRA from the BOX then put it on the dotted line

Hi is it like 4.PNG? what amount should I put is the best from your opinion? my annual salary is $40,000

That is the way to report that.

You do not need to put any additional amount. They will withhold based on the income and just your own single amount so that should be enough. Leave the box 6 blank or use $0 if you just have to enter something

is my 5.PNG correct?

What country are you from? It matters to how many allowances you can claim

from Taiwan

Forget that worksheet.

Box 3 - Check "Single" marital status on line 3 (regardless of marital status)

Box 5 - Enter "1" for the total number of allowances (Residents of American Samoa, Canada, Korea, Mexico, The Northern Mariana Islands and Students from India may claim more allowances.)

Box 6 - Enter the phrase Non Resident Alien or "NRA" above the dotted line on line 6 $0 in the box

Box 7 - Do not complete as "Exempt."

Sign and turn it in.

IF you stay past the years you are allowed you become a RESIDENT alien and a new W4 will be needed.

I hope this has been useful.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

TaxRobin
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor